Tango in Education

Some of you know that prior to me coming to Buenos Aires I worked in Sport Development, in London. It's an industry that seeks to raise participation opportunities while, at the same time, increasing the profile of certain sport and dance activities.

I was very excited this morning to come across an article in one of Buenos Aires' free tango magazines, La Milonga Argentina.  The article was about a group that formed in 2009 to try and get tango into primary and secondary level education in Buenos Aires within the subjects of History, Literature and Dance.  

As you can imagine, I'm thrilled to see a movement like this in action with people embracing their culture and trying to build a legacy for the future (blah blah blah, talking like Seb Coe now!)  However, I am sparing a thought for those poor little ones with 2 left feet, not the latinos mind - aren't they ALL meant to have rhythm?

I'm thinking of those kids that are in receipt of the 'I can't dance' gene and 'I can't learn how to dance' gene (probably because they have one parent of another nationality).  

Setting this aside, I think it's a wonderful thing.  All this worldwide sports / dance development - the kids just don't realise how lucky they are these days!  Does a comment like that make me sound old? ; )

The Tango at Schools project is in the process of collecting signatures for the Tango dance in Schools bill.  Suerte to them all indeed!